Einstein : Not everything that can be counted counts. And not everything that counts can be counted.

Tuesday 5 June 2007

What a difference a day makes

Well there I am driving towards the metropolis that is affectionately known as HQ amongst other things. I approach the barrier that allows me into the delightful place and the security guard displays wonderful observations and allows me to enter the inner sanctum with a cheery wave. Now the problems begin. Where the bloody hell do I park by fully marked police vehicle. I am here on official business yet it seems that I am unable to park almost anywhere. I am not fortunate enough to have my own allocated bay, I dare not park on any verge else I incur the wrath of one of the non-police support sharks, I even more dare not park in one of the marked disabled bays, even though all are empty, running the risk of yet more grief. I will only be here for a couple of minutes (now where have I heard that before ?). I drive around the myriad of car parks, through the fields that are now car parks and find one amongst the places left by those who can't park in a marked bay to save their lives. I walk several hundred yards to get to my destination after asking directions and suffering the looks of those who think I represent the smeg end of the gene pool. I recognise several faces and think to myself, 'they were police officers, once.' but then again they still are, somewhere. Complete my task which involves signing, in triplicate, some paperwork to justify someone elses demands and then head back to find my vehicle. I feel uncomfortable, like some form of intruder. Then I'm off, back into reality, exiting the place with a series of cheery waves and luckily no calls during my visit or extended hike to and from my only available place to park.

So there I am driving towards the metroplois that is affectionately known as HQ amongst other things. I approach the barrier that allows me into the delightful place, I have to press a button and discuss the relevance of my visit and whilst explaining the barrier is raised and my entrance allowed into the hallowed grounds. No security staff to allow me access this time. I am here on official business, again, in my fully marked police vehicle, yet it seems that I am able to park almost anywhere. I cleverly decide to by-pass the allocated bays, disabled bays or the verges incase one of the sharks decides to scan the CCTV footage for such serious offences. I drive around the myriad of car parks, through the fields that are now car parks and find any number of spare spaces, in fact almost all of the spaces are empty. I become confused for choice. I stop, look around and take a few deep breaths.

I opt for a place near to the disabled bays, again all empty, not on the verge, enter the inner sanctum, complete my task and bid a fond farewell before driving out.

I have seen almost no-one at all. Nothing to sign, just left for me to collect. Where are all the people, have they gone missing ? Why should there be such a contrast as this is only a matter of days between the two visits. I leave, confused, bemused and a little worried.

Funny how everything returns to normal on Monday morning.

No comments: